Bunnies are unique to any other pet, in which they can form a life long bond with their owner that is second to none. While all pets have a special relationship with their family, bunnies that are bonded to their owners demonstrate unique traits that we look for on the progression scale. Some of these include head nudging, licking, and hopping directly onto your lap. Following taking your bunny home they have had plenty of human interaction. It is then our job and now yours to work together to get them to be the most loving, friendly bunny as possible. Here are eight steps to initially implement in order to formulate that everlasting bond with your bunny!
1. Introduce your bunny to a soothing environment. All bunnies at some point should free roam. When they are young and new to the family however, they do need to be in a cage when not supervised. Our Cage Packages do provide some comfort for the bunny in terms of familiar surroundings, but of course is optional. Try to keep your bunny's environment not too loud, and when you initially make the first introduction try to stay as calm as possible. Fortunately, Holland Lops have a fantastic temperament, and will not take too long to begin to explore their new family.
2. Stay at their level. Bunnies tend to be more relaxed when you are meeting them at ground level either sitting, and in some cases people even lay flat on the floor.
3. Do not make any sudden movements. Bunnies are prey animals so by nature are more sensitive to sudden movements in the initial getting to know each other phase. The more relaxed your bunny is the quicker they will begin to recognize you are there for love and compassion.
4. After a few days of getting to know your bunny, they will start to become more and more apt to seek out attention from you. This is how the bonding process will progress. Be sure to put a good amount of time into learning what your bunny likes. If they enjoy head rubs, give them head rubs. If they enjoy cuddling then cuddle with your bunny. As you meet their needs they will start to show signs of affection and happiness, maybe through a Binky or Bunny Flop.
5. As the days turn to weeks your bunny should really becoming comfortable with their day to day schedule. Be sure to give them an ample amount of play time with some toys or all natural wood chews.
6. At around week 2 you can start giving one of the treat bags from our bunny bonding Bag Kit.
Please Note: We do not recommend giving your bunny any treats without our approval. Please always consult with us prior to giving your bunny anything from an outside site or store that we have not endorsed.
When you start hand feeding your bunny this is when they really start to take to you and are entering the home stretch of the bonding process. The treats must be given in moderation, and again, it is very important to note for our bunnies we ask you always consult with us first. For more information on what a Bunny Bonding Bag Kit is simply click here to take you to the page. In short they are a step by step kit filled with all natural treats, toys, and all natural chews to help strengthen the bond formulation at a quicker pace.
7. Once you have begun hand feeding your bunnies their treat three times a week they should be completely comfortable in their surroundings, and now your job is to continue to learn your bunnies likes and dislikes and reward them with love and affection. The more time you put in with them, the more affection you will receive back from them.
8. By week three you should now be in full swing with your bunny's schedule, play time, cuddle time, resting time, and however you and your family spend the day with them. If you have proceeded with the correct pace and steps, you should already realize just how big bunnies personalities are, along with how smart and loving they are.
Also keep in mind that at Lovely Bunny's we keep the after care process very interactive, meaning we are here to answer any and all questions along the way. When we reach the point where you and your bunny are fully bonded, that is when we consider our job to be done, not once you take them home. So please always use us as a resource if needed as we are happy to assist! Following these steps in tandem with working with us simultaneously, will surely guarantee your bunny has the best personality possible, although Holland Lops do deserve a ton of the credit. As a breed a Lop's temperament as a pet is truly second to none. To conclude, following the steps above, using us as a resource, and giving your bunny all the love and care in the world, will help you and your bunny bond in no time!
Wishing the best to all the bunny lovers out there,
Matthew- Team Lovely Bunny's
Phone: (973) 330-2928
Matthew- I have been an avid bunny lover and advocate for years. I decided to put my passion into Lovely Bunny's, which is driven by information and customer service. The articles I write are written with the main purpose to educate current and future bunny owners on how to raise, love, and care for the bunny's properly.