Over the past 5 years there already has been a large reduction of Pet Stores due to a lack of credible purchases from sources like bunny and puppy mills. There was, and still is too much of lack of responsibility when it comes to pets being sold from standard pet stores. Breeders alike, selling bunnies as is with no Sales Policy for customer protection does raise a red flag in terms of credibility. Lovely Bunny's is a proud member, supporter and voter within the American Rabbit Breeders Association, and while scanning through our account on July 1st to do our yearly verification of our active membership, I came across an extremely comforting and intriguing article. The article described an outline and list of effective, and humane ways to breed bunnies, focusing purely on health, safety and well being. The key bullets in the article focused on these major types of guidelines in which we at Lovely Bunny's already implemented and are happy to oblige:
• Do not allow wild rabbits to have contact with your rabbits or gain entry to the facility or home. If you own domestic rabbits, do not release them into the wild.
• Do not allow visitors in rabbitries who are there simply to pet and hold the bunnies. Here at Lovely Bunny's we do not advocate for Petting Zoo's.
• Always wash hands with warm soapy water before entering your rabbitry, and dress appropriately
• Do not introduce new rabbits from unknown or untrusted sources!
• If you bring outside rabbits into your facility or home, keep them separated from your existing rabbits. Use separate equipment for newly acquired rabbits
• Sanitize all equipment and cages before they are returned to the rabbitry. We at Lovely Bunny's agree with the recommendation of disinfecting with 10% bleach or 10% sodium hydroxide mixed with water, prior to the bunny going to their forever home.
• Use continuing education to review biosecurity practices for identification and closure of possible gaps.
Upon reading the full article, my sentiment really propelled me to feel like we are on the right track to having a world where animal lovers can enjoy their pets, and also find comfort in knowing where their pet came from and how they were raised. Doing further research, you can clearly see a consolidation trend in the Pet Store and breeding sector, with my ultimate conclusion certainly indicating that we are heading in the right direction at an accelerated pace!
Wishing all of our customers and bunny lovers alike all of our love and a fantastic Holiday!
Matthew- Lovely Bunny's Owner/Operations/Website Operations/Sales & Inquiries
Phone: (973) 330-2928
Tik Tok- www.tiktok.com/@lopbunniesnj?lang=en