Keeping your bunny safe from dehydration or worse indoors requires 3 simple guidelines and poses far less risk than outdoors.
1. Bunnies are unique in which they do not have sweat glands. In light of this bunnies love and need consistent access to fresh bottled or sterile water. Tap water is not applicable due to an excess of foreign minerals and bacteria domesticated bunnies are unaccustomed to.
2. Bunnies require an area of shade to retreat to at all times. Blanket heat penetrating through a window on your bunny for the duration of the day can potentially be harmful to keeping their bodies temperature regulated.
3. Room temperature should hover consistently from 68 to 72 degrees. A few degrees above 72 is still optimal as long as steps 1 and 2 are followed.
Keeping your bunny safe outdoors requires far more stringent guidelines.
*It is important to note no matter the temperature always monitor your bunny outdoors to keep them safe from other animals or venturing into areas that are not safety regulated.
1. If you would like to take in some fresh air with your bunny 80-82 degrees should be the temperature threshold.
2. Always be mindful to check the floor temperature to prevent their paws from being burnt. Do this by using your foot or hand to check the heat intensity. If it is too hot for your bare skin, it is too hot for your bunnies paws.
3. Make sure there is access to a vast shaded area for them to retreat to.
4. Extended lengths outdoors should be avoided at all costs. 20-25 minutes of outdoor activity is strongly recommended.
5. Same as indoors, bring a fresh bowl of chilled bottled water and compound this by making sure they always have access to drink.
6. Pre-scan the outdoor area for harmful summer insects such as bees and mosquitos. Most importantly expand the scan area further for any nest areas.
7. Be mindful of air quality. Forest fires have been running rampant in Canada this month. With the smoke making its way down to the United States your local weather updater will have your areas air quality. If the air quality in your area for the day currently trends outside of good to very good, please keep playtime solely to an indoor day.
As always if you have any additional questions or concerns please always feel free to reach out at any time. Wishing all of our customers and bunny lovers alike all of our love!
Phone: (973) 330-2928